It was somewhat sunny when we started cutting at 5 p.m. yesterday.
Yesterday, we were cautiously optimistic we would be able to cut for awhile. We went out the field in the early afternoon to test the moisture and it was at 15 percent. Since we needed it to be 13.5 percent, we waited for awhile and went back out and tested at 5 p.m. We were so excited because we were able to cut!
There was a 50 percent chance of rain and it was very overcast in town, but as we got closer to the field the clouds seemed to break up. It started raining in town and it still wasn’t raining at the field. We were all keeping our fingers crossed and hoping that the rain would miss our field. We got three loads worth of wheat cut before we got rained out. Since that was better than not cutting at all, we when home feeling glad that we were in the field for a short while.
Mark jumps into a loaded truck to take it to the elevator to get dumped as Euan works on filling up another truck. We cut three loads of wheat before we got rained out.
Today was an even better day than yesterday. The sun was out and there wasn’t a cloud in the sky. We started cutting in the early afternoon. The weather forecasts show that it should be sunny tomorrow too. If we get one more day of sun, it should be enough so we can wrap up harvest in Limon, Colo.
Jada Bulgin can be reached at firstname.lastname@example.org. All Aboard 2009 Wheat Harvest is sponsored by High Plains Journal and DuPont Crop Protection.