16 Jun Jada: A VIP test and a wrap up to our Texan harvest
Hoffman Harvesting has been off the grid for a little while but it is for very good reasons. Not often do we drop everything in the midst of harvest- weddings and birthdays included- to take a flight home. However, a very important test had me driving to Dallas to take Leon to the airport.
After 7 years of marriage and more paperwork thicker than any of the several books I have ever read in my life, Leon was approved to take his citizenship test. While this wasn’t the ideal time to be studying and taking time off work, he was basically at the mercy of the government. While in Sioux Falls, Leon was thoroughly interviewed, given a history test, a spelling test, and a written test. Leon did pass his test; however, he will not be sworn in as a U.S. citizen until later this year.
Leon settles up with the Campbell’s. When the glasses come out, you know it’s time to do business with Mike. : )
Upon his return from Sioux Falls, Leon, Kaidence and I returned to Olney to settle up with the Campbell’s. While away the crew finished our last 200 acres. We are thankful we were able to rely on the guys to step up to the plate despite us having to slip away at this inopportune time.
The Campbell’s tree that never ceases to amaze me. The tree is not bent from the sun as I would have assumed but from the wind instead.
For fun, here a few of the many questions Leon spent several hours studying. Can you answer them all? I must confess I couldn’t.
- Who was President during World War I?
- Who is Chief Justice of the United States now?
- When was the Declaration of Independence adopted?
- Who was the President during the Great Depression and World War?
- What did Susan B. Anthony do?
- Name one war fought by the United States in the 1800’s.
- When was the Constitution written?
- If both the President and the Vice President can no longer serve, who becomes President?
- How many justices are on the Supreme Court?
- How many amendments does the Constitution have?
Say cheese! Kaidence and Kelly with the newest Campbell addition, Willy.
Answer Key: 1. Woodrow Wilson, 2. John G. Roberts, Jr. 3. July 4, 1776, 4. (Franklin) Roosevelt, 5. Fought for women’s rights and civil rights, 6. War of 1812, Mexican- American War, Civil War, Spanish-American War, 7. 1787, 8. The Speaker of the House, 9. Nine, 10. Twenty-seven.
All Aboard Wheat Harvest is sponsored by High Plains Journal and Syngenta. Jada can be reached at email@example.com.