10 Aug Lindsey: The Harvest Special
Hardin, Montana – One of my primary jobs during our harvest run is keeping everyone fed. Typically everyone is on their own for breakfast, but I’ll pack a lunch that goes with the crew when they head out in the morning and then I’ll take supper out to the field in the evening.
I’m pretty diligent about meal planning and try to have 4 or 5 days of meal ingredients on hand. We tend to find ourselves in towns that may not have a grocery store, or maybe the grocery store that’s available keeps the bare necessities in stock…which absolutely comes in handy! Unfortunately, all the meal planning in the world won’t prevent unexpected trips to the field, emergency trips to grab parts or kiddos who may not be having the best days.
I’m usually on the hunt for new recipes to try just to break up the monotony of cooking every single day. However, I most definitely have some old stand-bys that are easy to turn to when time is short and tummies are growling. The “Harvest Special” is so easy to throw together. I usually have the ingredients on-hand and the finished product always receives great reviews. I add a salad on the side and dinner is served! Keep this recipe in mind if you find yourself pressed for time.
1-1.5 lbs ground beef
1 small onion, diced
salt, pepper, garlic powder for extra flavor
1 15 oz. can corn, drained
1 15 oz. can pork n beans
¾ C. BBQ sauce
2 T. brown sugar
1 C. shredded cheese
1 tube refrigerated biscuits
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Gease/butter 9×13 casserole dish.
2. In a large skillet brown beef, onion and seasonings. Drain if necessary.
3. Add corn, pork n beans, BBQ sauce and brown sugar. Bring to a slight boil.
4. Pour skillet ingredients to casserole dish. Top with cheese then biscuits. Press biscuits down slightly into beef mixture.
5. Bake for 20-25 minutes until biscuits are golden.
6. Allow casserole to rest 5-10 minutes before serving.
All Aboard Wheat Harvest is sponsored by High Plains Journal and John Deere. Lindsey Orgain can be reached at firstname.lastname@example.org.