Throughout the harvest season, we face a large array of challenges. Besides the wet weather conditions all over this fall, we have had one other major challenge in the last week that is serious enough to have us park a couple machines, a cart, and some trucks. This challenge is help.

At the beginning of the season, we started out with a well-rounded crew. And many of the awesome individuals who started the year, will finish the year. Yet, sometimes situations arise where we unfortunately either have to let someone go, or circumstances at home call a person back

We all finally got going after a little over a week-long delay. The fields are a little muddy but we have gotten use to that in years past. The two combines that were in Esmond, North Dakota, finished and moved home. We stopped at a neighbor’s field and cut 50 acres for him since he was on our way home.

There is one combine left in the Jamestown area cutting beans and the other three that were there have finished their jobs. Two of them were brought home to run on the beans around here. We finally got to

This fall is turning out to be a very wet one. Wednesday dropped an inch of rain around home, and not quite as much by Fulda, Minnesota, and Hartley, Iowa. Out in South Dakota, the rain parked our crews by Roscoe and Elkton. I think we will hopefully have everyone up and going again today, but it will be short lived. There’s more rain forecast for Wednesday. Sounds like it could be a pretty big rain that will wash us out with the possibility of two inches. I really hope that doesn’t happen.

Before all this rain, we were moving

Three years ago, we had a huge snow storm come through our area and dropped 30 inches of snow and a month prior we ended up with about 13 inches of rain in a 24-hour time period. Since it never really had a chance to freeze it made the field conditions very muddy. That was the year we combined every month, except January, from when we left for Texas in May until we left for Texas the following May. Thankfully that is not the case this year. There has not been a chance of snow in our forecast yet

We had a pretty special delivery in the field this last week. For about three or four hours Paul had the opportunity to test out the John Deere X9 combine, complete with a 16-row folding John Deere corn head. C & B Operations out of Worthington, Minnesota, brought the combine over for Paul to try out. I was pretty disappointed I didn’t make it to the field in time to get a chance to see this machine work, but Paul was able to fill me in on all the details.

Whereas it wasn’t enough time to really get

We have a small rain delay here in North Dakota. As much as we need the moisture, we wish it would have held off a few days. The Westhope crew got lucky and finished the beans before the rain but the Esmond and Jamestown crew may not get fired back up for a few days. If the rain had held off a few more days we could have gotten all of our bean acres done for the year.
The Esmond crew finished one farmer and has moved to another farmer but fell a few hours short of finishing. We have